Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Magic Glasses

A friend introduced me to a man she said was a very wise person, and then left us alone. I was not impressed by the stranger. For one thing, he had an attitude. (I can always tell when someone has an attitude.) Besides, I didn’t like the way his ears stuck out.

As we shook hands, he said, “Why are you crying?”

“Me? I’m not crying,” I said.

“Not on the outside, but on the inside you are crying.”

My heart suddenly opened and I spoke without thinking. “I’m sad because I can’t stop judging people. It hurts.”

The VWP reached into his pocket and drew out a pair of ordinary-looking glasses. He handed them to me and gestured for me to put them on. When I did, I was dazzled by his beauty. Gorgeous light seemed to be pouring from his chest. I was speechless. He had seemed so ordinary before. Now he was the very embodiment of beauty.

He told me the glasses were mine to use, but that after a certain number of hours they would vanish. Then he walked away.

Having those glasses changed me. Everyone I looked at was radiantly beautiful. It was like I was falling in love with everyone. I still could not speak, so awe-struck was I by the beauteous light that glowed from each person I saw.

Then, suddenly, the glasses disappeared. People were back to normal. There again in plain view were all their faults and unpleasant traits and actions. I was shocked. I wanted those glasses back, for now my judgment brought me actual pain. I was sad for a long time. Then one day I met the VWP again.

“I wish you had never given me those glasses!” I raged. “They just covered up what people are really like.”

“You are wrong, my friend,” he said. “You were given a great gift, for the glasses showed you the actual truth of each person. Far from embellishing, they revealed the hidden gem within each which is the soul.”

Now I am working to train myself to look at people as if I have the glasses on.

Learn how to discern people's souls without
magic glasses. Visit www.myjimballard.com


Please feel free to respond to this entry
by clicking on the comment link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment